Going to court for any dispute is the last thing any Australian wants.
There are instances when people cannot reach a settlement among themselves for matters regarding parenting or more. They believe that they are left with no option but to go to court. However, that is not true.
There is an alternative to taking the matter to court – family law mediation services. Fortunately, availing of these services is cheap, less painful, and swift. Mediation helps deal with the issue patiently to reach a beneficial solution for both parties.
Kinds of Family Disputes
Family law mediation services may be necessary for various familial disputes.
One of the most common and significant family disputes is related to divorce. The reasons for divorce could be anything from financial issues to children-related problems, issues with in-laws, or more.
Another major dispute is related to inheritance – who takes over the property after someone passes away? Fighting over the division of property among siblings is a major conflict area. This dispute is more common when a family business is involved.
Once a married couple divorces, it does not mean that all disputes are settled. There may still be some issues that need to be taken care of. These disputes may be regarding the custody of children, co-parenting agreements, and more.
Extended Family Disputes
Joint families usually see a lot of disputes arising because of differences of opinion. Minor differences in opinions may lead to major issues.
Parenting can be one very major point of dispute. Sometimes, parents may have major disagreements about how to take care of children. What may start off as a minor disagreement may turn into full-blown issues that are not easy to resolve. As per the regulation of the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia, mediation in matters of parenting must begin before the court proceedings start.
Elder People Care
When parents become older, siblings may argue about who will take care of them.
Benefits of Opting for Family Mediation
The benefits of opting for family law mediation services are more than opting for lawyers and heading to court. Some of these benefits include
- Amicable handling of disputes to not affect people’s relationships
- Swift dispute resolution
- Less burden on courts
- Provides flexibility as both parties can decide whether they accept or reject the solution
- It protects children from the emotional trauma of sitting through long court proceedings.
- It is a better option for parents who wish to stay in touch post-divorce for the sake of their children.
- In the case of high-profile cases, the proceedings can be held away from the public eye in total privacy.
- It saves expenses for both parties since they have some control over the process.
- Family disputes can be settled through discussion and negotiation instead of matters getting ugly in court.
- The final verdict can be based on the family’s requirements which would not have happened in court.
- The mediation discussions are entirely confidential and cannot be presented in court as evidence.
Family law mediation is the best way for both parties to reach an agreement peacefully. The resolution will always be made keeping in mind the best interests of both parties.
Speak to a lawyer to ensure that you have full knowledge of your legal rights.