People are becoming more conscious about their daily products and how they are made. That’s why manufacturers are creating products from sustainable resources. Eco-friendly clothing is an excellent way to treat the earth in a friendly manner and, at the same time, be fashionable.
This type of clothing is designed for people who care about the environment and are conscious of their clothes’ impact on the environment. Clothing materials like linen clothing, bamboo fibre, or organic cotton are durable, easy to care for, and breathable at the same time. It is more sustainable than most other fabrics available in the market because it requires little water to grow.
Some of the various types of eco-friendly clothing materials that are sustainable and also are eco-friendly are:
- Hemp – Hemp is a versatile plant used to make anything from food to cosmetics and fabrics. It is one of the oldest fabrics used for clothing. This fabric is quite expensive, which makes it less accessible for everyone. However, It’s quick growing and doesn’t require pesticides. Hemp is created from durable material, is very gentle for the skin, and is often used in place of cotton. It is considered to be the best option in terms of sustainability.
- Linen – It is made from flax, can be grown without fertiliser and is planted in the areas where most other crops cannot survive. It has been lauded for hundreds of years due to its durability. The fabric of linen clothing is lightweight, durable, and absorbent. It doesn’t require any chemical fertilisers or pesticides. In terms of sustainability, it requires less water than cotton.
- Organic Cotton – Even though it is one of the most common fabrics, cotton is produced with many toxic pesticides. Organic cotton is grown in a way that doesn’t use any chemicals; therefore, it is more eco-friendly than regular cotton. However, organic cotton is expensive and might not be affordable to everyone.
- Modal – It is a fibre produced from beech trees. These fabrics are twice the softness of cotton and feel amazing when you wear them. Modal fabric is tough, which keeps you in shape. It has a silky texture which makes it comfortable while wearing intimate wear. It is a bio-based fabric made from spinning beech tree cellulose. It requires ten to twenty times less water than cotton and is considered a better eco-friendly option.
- Wool – Being 100% natural, renewable and biodegradable, wool has been accepted as an environmentally positive fibre choice. Wool uses 18% less energy than polyester and 70% less water than cotton. Wool does not contribute to microplastic pollution in the oceans. It also offers the opportunity to create high-quality, comfortable, and beautiful products.
- Bamboo – Bamboo is a highly sustainable plant. No pesticides and chemicals are required when harvesting the bamboo. The process of cultivation is natural and never harms the environment. Bamboo is often named the new ‘green steel’ for its strength. The fabrics are naturally anti-bacterial. It aims to reduce overall waste and positively impact the planet.
Wrapping it up
Clothing plays a significant part in a day to day life. However, Fast fashion items often undergo intense chemical processes and harm the environment. Sustainable fashion is healthier for the planet and the people living on it. Not only does eco-friendly fashion save natural resources, but It also requires less energy, less water, and no fertilisers to grow. Therefore, one should opt to buy eco-friendly and sustainable clothes as it is not only helpful for the present generation but the future generation too.
Leave a Reply